Pages

Welcome to my Amateur Food Blog

Welcome to my Amateur Food Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Chocolate Chip Sweet Bun using Water-Roux Method

I decided to try this recipe after reading the post from Honey Bee Sweet. It requires the Water-Roux  method described in Corner Cafe.

I wanted to use my mixer to knead the dough only, but towards the last part, I gave in to using hands to knead. I wanted to use the mixer to make my life easier. However, I read that most bread bakers always emphasized that it is important to feel the dough by hand kneading. So, I ended out taking the dough out,  throwing and stretching for about 5 mins. trying out the kneading method illustrated by Richard Bertinet in his video. It was quite an enjoyable experience slamming the dough on the countertop. It's a really good way to relieve stress.

I managed to get the window pane, but it was a small one before it got torn.

The dough was sticky after proofing, which made shaping difficult. I am not sure if I should have kneaded the dough longer before proofing it.

However, the end product was really tasty. I brought some home for my mother to try, she liked it a lot. It's soft and fluffy, plus the chocolate really made the bun very fragrant.

I still do not understand what HBS meant by rolling the dough into a swiss roll during shaping and I found it difficult to add the chocolate chips into the dough. Need to find out more tips before my next attempt.

Water-Roux warmed to 65 degrees celsius
Chocolate Dough before proofing.
Rolling into oval shape to add the chocolate chips.

Before sending these buns into the oven
Irregular bun shape
First Bun for myself!
I kept about 4 buns for myself to eat. I wanted to eat one each day and see how the taste and softness of the buns change each day. I definitely want to make this again for my family to eat. :)

I

No comments: